Friday, December 17, 2010

Yarning for Wreaths

Last year I was inspired by a large selection of yarn wreaths on Etsy and was determined to create my own.  At the time, I had inherited a mother-load of yarn in all textures and colors and also had a plethora of cheap plastic Christmas ornaments from a few years back when my own collection was still in its infancy.   With all the supplies I needed at hand, I thought I could whip up the perfect wreath within a few days.   Oh, how I was wrong.   This wreath took me nearly the entire month of December to complete.  I sat at my table every night wrapping a padded quilting circle with light green yarn.  In the end, it came out wonderful and I let it marinate on my door until March.  After putting so much time and effort into it, I couldn’t just stash it with the rest of the holiday decorations, so I dubbed it a “winter” wreath.


When I pulled the wreath out this season, I was inspired to try my hand at another one determined to get ‘er done in one night’s crafting, i.e. about 2 hours. After receiving a gracious comment on my wreath at the Crafting Brunch from my friend Rachael, I decided to make her one for her own holiday party this past weekend. I worked with the supplies I had on hand:  small quilting circle, thick piece of felt, scraps of yarn, pine cones, and red glitter balls.  I can honestly say I was done with hot glue gun turned off by 11PM, and I had made dinner for 4 people prior to starting.


The most time consuming-part of the process is covering the wooden quilting circle.  Start off by wrapping the quilting circle with the felt or cotton batting until you achieve the thickness you want.   Next choose your base color and wrap the circle all the way around until it is completely covered.  Glue the yarn down where necessary.

Once your base is complete, it’s just a matter of decorating. I chose to only put a small clustering of yarn balls, pine cones and ornaments.  I used a combination of hot glue and a quilting needle and yarn to attach everything.   The finishing touch was a wire loop on the back for hanging.

Yarn it up!

No comments:

Post a Comment